Hampshire Genealogical Society
Greywell - St. Mary the Virgin
Photographs and information supplied by John Gaffey
Photograph provided by David Dawson-Taylor
Description/History:At the time of the Domesday Survey in 1086 it is thought that the Chapel of St.Mary, at Greywell, beside the Whitewater, was one of the two churches within the Manor of Odiham mentioned in the survey. The church of St.Mary the Virgin is of Norman origin and was built in the 12th century being linked with Odiham Parish until 1901 when it became a separate ecclesiastical parish. The narrow 13th Century Early English chancel-arch is a prominent feature. One will also find,on the stonework to the left outside the church door, visible remains of several consecration crosses dating back to the period of the Crusades. Church House, beside the Lych gate on Main Street, Greywell is believed to have been originally the priest's lodgings.
Records:The Parish Registers date from 1604.
Return to Index of Churches and Schools